Re: RFS: cracklib2

On Sun, 2008-08-24 at 18:50 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Jan Dittberner <jan@dittberner.info> writes:
>
> > Lintian has two warning for 2.8.12-3:
> >
> > 1.) patch-system-but-direct-changes-in-diff (due to using autogen.sh in
> >     debian/rules)
> > 2.) command-with-path-in-maintainer-script (due to an absolute path to
> >     /usr/sbin/update-cracklib in postinst)
> >
> > I fixed both issues 1. by creating a patch instead of calling
> > autogen.sh in debian/rules and 2. by removing /usr/sbin in the
> > postinst script.
>
> I don't think that's the right solution to the first issue.  I know some
> people prefer to do it this way, but I think it's much better to run the
> autotools during the build.  Just delete the generated files during the
> clean target and then the changes won't bloat the diff.

It's not just the wrong solution, it is a broken solution. Implementing
the changes made by autogen.sh as a patch is certain to fail as soon as
one of the autotools packages is upgraded. It is never a good idea to
attempt to patch generated files! The patch would fail immediately that
someone (me) tries to cross-build the new version.

libcrack2 is used in Emdebian (it will be part of the Emdebian 1.0
release due alongside Lenny), you can see the Emdebian patches here:

http://buildd.emdebian.org/svn/browser/current/target/trunk/c/cracklib2/trunk/

(Emdebian does not yet support python so many of the changes are to drop
python support.)

Package details:
http://www.emdebian.org/packages/search.php?distro=unstable&package=libcrack2

Build logs:
http://www.emdebian.org/buildd/history.php?pkg=cracklib2

Currently, there are no Emdebian patches that need to be included in the
Debian package - you'll get a bug report when those are necessary.

/usr/share/doc/autotools-dev/README.Debian.gz is precisely the right
file to follow. The current long term mass bug filing for cross-building
support implements one of the recommendations - sane use of --build and
--host:
http://wiki.debian.org/EmdebianGuide#head-7d381311f6972e4d3a4853bd96485e508fb6ac1f

--

Neil Williams