Re: RFS: desktop-data-model

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 21:29 +0200, Vincent Bernat wrote:
> OoO  En ce  début de  soirée du  mercredi 23  juillet 2008,  vers 21:37,
> Julien Lavergne <julien.lavergne@gmail.com> disait :
>
> > I am looking for a sponsor for my package "desktop-data-model".
>
> Hi Julien!
>
> You  are  adding org.freedesktop.od.Engine.service.  Put  it in  debian/
> directory instead and  use debian/rules or *.install files  to put it in
> the right place. It is better that your diff.gz only contains changes to
> debian/ directory.

Urgh, I find this assertion really quite annoying, and seeing it in two
consecutive . Jumping through hoops to keep the diff contained in debian
harms reviewability as much as having arbitrary changes scattered over
the source tree.

Really, we want things to be as clear as possible; and if that means
changes outside the debian directory, then *that is fine*. We're not
just writing meta-data to install software in a debian package (though
that is a fine goal to be aiming for), we're fixing such bugs as needed
to have the software work well on debian (or at least however many bus a
particular DD feels up to fixing :)).

-Rob