Re: packaging for wine

On Friday 18 July 2008 10:01:01 dmanye wrote:
> hello,

Hello,

> let me explain my "environment". i'm in a university taking care of
> computer science department's computer labs. teachers say: "i need for
> my course app1, app2 and app3". most apps are windows ones and in most
> of the lab sessions teachers use windows.

By the way, it might not be relevant, but, I've been a witness of students
pushing free software usage to the teacher and OTOH, there are teachers who
introduce free software to their students while lecturing (such teachers are
also upstream authors and debian package maintainers ;-)

> i'm here "the linux guy" in a way similar to asterix. my objective is:
> do the linux computer setup as "capable" as possible so that students
> can do *all* their practices under linux. sometimes the job is easy
> (when teachers ask for office i install openoffice, when they ask for
> acroread i install evince|xpdf and so on), but sometimes it's not so
> easy: for example, when they ask for pajek
> (http://pajek.imfm.si/doku.php) for which i've found no free equivalence
> and i've read that runs ok under wine (and the source code is not
> published).
>
> so i spend some of my job time to make possible that a student can
> choice between pajek under windows or pajek under wine. and i know that
> most of the students will choose the first option.
>
> this is my position and since this is a flame theme, let me ignore any
> other message related with this without constructive ideas. thanks to
> paul wise for pointing me to pptview, i think it is the example package
> i was looking for.

My opinion how to attack the problem (not a flamebait of course): You should
probably explain your teacher and fellow students that the usage of any sort
of proprietary formats brings you headaches and should be avoided when
possible. I'm not sure what pajek is supposed to do, but there are many free
software presentation systems out there. I even recently sponsored one - s5,
which is a pretty good example for effectiveness, with a few web standards
you can have a pretty decent presentation.