Re: How to detect an upgrade from an older version of a package

Vincent Bernat wrote:
> Another solution  is to use dbconfig-common.  You get for free  a lot of
> things, including:
>  - automatic upgrade of database (but it relies on package versions)
>  - debconf questions already written (and already translated)

Wrong. dbconfig-common is for apps, not for something like mod_log_sql
that you are supposed to configure yourself (with maybe a remote
database). More over, I didn't find any documentation that let you get
the root on MySQL. In a more general way, the documentation of
dbconfig-common is very poor, and it's maintainer (to my experience)
doesn't reply to emails...

My idea is just to check the local mysql apachelogs database, picking up
the root password from /etc/mysql/debian.cnf and nothing more, prompting
the user about it with debconf in a critical question, with default to
do nothing. Any other configuration (postgresql, dbi, etc.) can be
processed by hand, by the user. I wanted to test the version I'm
upgrading from to avoid to ask any question if it's not needed.

Thomas