Re: Package extraction process (dpkg-source, format 1.0 and 3.0 (quilt))

On Sunday 13 July 2008 18:30:34 Benjamin Mesing wrote:
> > >       * In the same section there is a note:
> > >         "Note: dpkg-source expects the source tree to have all patches
> > >         applied when you generate the  source package.  This is not the
> > >         case when the source tree has been obtained by unpacking a
> > >         source package using the Format: 1.0 for instance."
> > >         But unpacking format 1.0 packages does lead to a tree with all
> > >         patches applied, doesn't it?
> >
> > Not always, since extracting  a non-native package prepared as format 1.0
> > is done by first unpacking the .orig.tar.gz and then applying the patch
> > in the .diff.gz. Now, you have two kinds of diff.gz - hooligan ones which
> > directly modify upstream files when applied as one fat, monolitic and
> > illogical changeset, and such that create logically separated diffs in
> > debian/patches/ which are then applied build time.
>
> So you will not have all patches applied only, if you are using a patch
> system like dpatch or quilt - which for format 1.0 had nothing to do
> with dpkg-source.

This is not mandatory and depends on how you would call dpkg-source (the newer
one from dpkg >= 1.14.18), thus I think you are looking for dpkg-source(1).

Extract options
       --skip-patches
              Do not apply patches at the end of the extraction.
       --without-quilt
              Don't use quilt to apply patches but dpkg-source's own code. It
won't be possible to use quilt directly on the unpacked directory but it will
be free of quilt's temporary files as well.

> > >         Does this refer to using some
> > >         external patch system like dpatch?
> >
> > Not mandatory. Directly citing from #482741:
> > "In this process, if the .diff.gz contains changes to upstream files,
> > dpkg-source will have created a corresponding patch in
> > debian/patches/debian-changes-2.1.0-3 and will have registered that
> > patch in a quilt series (debian/patches/series, it is created if needed).
> > All the patches listed in the "series" file are applied directly during
> > the extraction (dpkg-source -x). quilt itself is used if available (and
> > will thus lead to the creation of the .pc directory), otherwise
> > dpkg-source applies the patches by itself."
>
> This is true for the 3.0 format, but not for 1.0, or am I missing
> something?

Yes, you are correct.