Re: Question about watch-file

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 12:30:57AM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> > And i don't know if i should add a lintian-override,
>
> Rather than an override, you can simply add a 'debian/watch' file that
> has (only) comments explaining the current situation.

Hu?

> > add a watch file with the url [1] anyway
>
> That wouldn't be any use. An empty watch file (with comments) is
> better than this.

Whats your rationale for proposing to include useless empty files within
of a package?

Given that
a) a watch file is still optional
b) the lintian message is only of type 'info'
c) We don't hide problems according to our social contract
d) Comments about *why* a watch file is missing is not required,
   due to a)

I'd say the best thing is to not include a watch file, to not add a
lintian override (its useless anyway) and fix the problem with upstream
first and _then_ fix it in the package.

Best Regards,
Patrick