Re: RFS: lynis (updated package)

Hi,

no time too look into your package further at the moment. Just commenting on
your mail for now.

On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 01:56:48PM +0000, Francisco M. García Claramonte wrote:
> > - debian/README.Debian: Thats really a nitpick, but you updated it, so its a
> >   good thing to update the timestamp at the end of the file, too, IMHO
> >

> Well, It is a simple change, so I decided not change the timestamp.

I wouldn't mind if it is a simple change or not. A change is a change
and the timestamp indicates exactly that IMHO.

> > - debian/copyright:
> >     - Important: (C) has no legal meaning, therefore it has to be
> >       replaced with ©.
>
> Ok, I have changed it to (c), because, lintian says that the
> character ©
> is obsolete:
>
> W: lynis: debian-copyright-file-uses-obsolete-national-encoding at line
> 20

No, it does not say that the character is obsolete. The message states
that your file (debian/copyright) uses a character enocding which isn't
appropriate anymore. Its a good idea to invoke lintian with the
parameter "-i" if you receive such messages to see what exactly they are
talking about.

It would have shown this long description:
The Debian copyright file should be valid UTF-8, an encoding of
the Unicode character set.

There are many ways to convert a copyright file from an obsoleted
encoding    like ISO-8859-1; you may for example use "iconv" like:

$ iconv -f ISO-8859-1 -t UTF-8 copyright > copyright.new
$ mv copyright.new copyright

Thats exactly what you need to do: Convert your copyright file to the
proper encoding, but please do not blindly use the command as stated
above, because I don't think you use ISO-8859-1. You can use file to
find out which file the copyright file is encoded currently.

I probably will have a further look at your package this evening.

Best Regards,
Patrick