Re: Newlines in debconf template descriptions

Replying to self, so that people searching for this also find the
solution.

On 08/03/25 16:56 +0530, Y Giridhar Appaji Nag said ...
> I want to include a newline after the help text for each command line
> option of ifplugd (actually ifplugd --help) in the template Description
> for ifplugd/args.
>
> debconf-updatepo seems to concatenate these as one single paragraph,
> which is not neat and hence #471178.  I can do a --skip-pot and update
> the po/templates.pot manually when I modify the templates (not very
> often), that would solve the bug, but is this the best way to go about
> it?  I also don't know what the best way is to have a frontend display
> newlines (not new-stanzas).

Inserting an extra space at the beginning of a template text line will
ensure that the resulting po/templates.pot file has a '\n' at the end of
the previous line.

Giridhar

--
Y Giridhar Appaji Nag | http://www.appaji.net/