Re: desktop file main category for a scientific data viewer?

Le Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 08:38:33PM -0800, Russ Allbery a écrit :
> Carlo Segre <segre@iit.edu> writes:
>
> > The consensus on the debian-science list is no.  Education is simply not
> > the right category.  We have made several efforts to have this changed
> > in the free desktop specification to no avail.  Some of us simply use an
> > sensible category and let the lintian errors pile up until they come to
> > their senses.
>
> lintian is a tool for Debian maintainers, not for Free Desktop validation,
> so as far as I'm concerned if debian-science has reached a consensus on
> categories, lintian should recognize those categories.  It's not like it's
> strictly checking against Free Desktop specifications right now anyway
> (since tons and tons of .desktop files use Applications, which also isn't
> valid).
>
> If you can tell me the list of categories on which you've agreed, I'll add
> them to lintian.

Dear all,

There is an ongoing discussion in this subject, but it stalled a few
weeks ago. A tentative summary is on the wiki:

http://wiki.debian.org/ExtraMenus

For the moment, in the Debian-Med packaging team, we use
`Categories=Biology;Science;Education;'. Some window managers will
automagically create a Science section (Xfce4 apparently), and some more
strict will use Education (GNOME). While I have nothing against removing
the `Education' category from the list, I am affraid that if there is no
concerted changes in other packages (which I did not determine yet), it
could result that the entry would appear in the `Other' category, which
is not what we want.

Have a nice day,

PS: there is a tool for checking .desktop files,
`desktop-file-validate'.

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org