Re: Lintian: outdated-autotools-helper-file

Il giorno Mon, 11 Feb 2008 10:53:48 +0100
Bas Wijnen <shevek@fmf.nl> ha scritto:

> I suggest to mandate "remove all generated files in the clean target"
> (formulated in a way which includes "generated by upstream", not only
> "generated by the build target), which implies "rebuild everything in
> the build target".

I fully agree with you here: the build target should also build Makefile.in
from Makefile.am, for example. Thus we clean *.in, *.sub, *.guess, in the clean
target.

> Now reread the previous paragraph while thinking of Makefile.in instead
> of "normal build results".  It is common practice to do exactly that:
> ship and use pre-built versions, or even ship them in the diff.gz (which
> then gets huge).  Makefile.am is only present as source-file, but it
> isn't used at all during the build.  Any changes the user makes will not
> be noticed by the build system.

See what I wrote just above :)

And, as a sidenote, I've just faced this. I patched a Makefile.am, and wasn't
seeing any result. I also had to patch Makefile.in. That's non-sense to me.

Kindly,
David

--
 . ''`.  Debian maintainer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino