Re: RFS: libthai 0.1.9-2 (updated package)

Hi,

I've updated the package according to my previous answers,
with additional decisions for some points:

On Feb 5, 2008 5:21 PM, Theppitak Karoonboonyanan <thep@linux.thai.net> wrote:

> > Your shlibs says >= 0.1.7 but the max version in your symbols file is 0.1.6.
>
> The shlibdeps was bumped to 0.1.7 by  Loïc Minier in 0.1.8-1,
> because 0.1.7 is safer to link with than 0.1.6 (the etch
> version), as many private symbols had been removed.
>
> Meanwhile. the symbols file just reflects the fact that the
> symbols are also available in the etch version.
>
> If it's to be changed, I'd rather bump the versions in the
> symbols file to 0.1.7 and ignore etch completely. Would
> there be any drawback in doing so?

I decided to bump the minver in symbols file to 0.1.7, so
that the safer versions in lenny/sid are preferred, according
to what stated in shlibs.

> > Please rewrite the descriptions considering the audience for each of
> > them. libthai0/libthai-data will always be automatically installed,
> > libthai-dev will sometimes be automatically installed (build-dep) and
> > libthai-doc should be only installed by humans. libthai0/-data could
> > have a one-line description, the amount of info in the -dev and -doc
> > descriptions should reflect who will be looking for them.
>
> I find this guideline for library description good, although
> I don't see an example of such package yet.
>
> I'll try to follow it.

I have shortened only libthai-data, as it's still unclear whether
libthai0 is always automatically installed, as kdelibs contains
some code that tries to dlopen libthai if present. And KDE
users are required to manually install libthai as an
enhancement in order to get proper Thai support.

Currently, the required subpackage is libthai-dev, which is
weird, as users are required to install a dev package without
any needs to compile programs. But KLibLoader's
requirement of *.la to dlopen libs just mandates that. But
this will change when KDE 4 arrives. Only libthai0 will be
required, if the proposed patch is accepted. (For KDE 3, a
better option to have explicit link seems to be frowned upon.
See Bug #444284.)

When it's done, the manually installed package will be libthai0
instead. So, I can't definitely claim that libthai0 is always
automatically installed. (For GNOME, it is.)

Please find  the summarized changes in the updated
package (with version unchanged):
  http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/l/libthai/libthai_0.1.9-2.dsc

Thanks,
--