Re: bug severity of 64bit-unsafeness

"Thibaut" <mlotpot.news@free.fr> wrote:
Hi,

I have noticed that one of my packages, yorick-ml4, is completely broken on amd64 and presumably all other 64-bit archs. Because the package is unusable on all amd64 machines (and more), I believe this is a release critical bug (which I know how to fix). However, when using reportbug, this bug does not seem to fit in any of the criteria for reporting a grave bug:

You are reporting a grave bug; which of the following criteria does it meet?

1 renders package unusable renders the package unusable, or mostly so, on all or nearly all possible systems on which it could be installed (i.e., not a hardware-specific
                              bug); or renders package uninstallable or
                              unremovable without special effort

A Bug that affects an entire architecure is grave under this category.

A Bug that does not affect an *entire* archatecture, but does affect an overwelming majority of the machines of that architecure (such a a bug specific to CPU's of a manufacture that makes over 90% of that architecure's CPUs) would also be grave under this category.

A bug that affects only AMD i386 architecures would be a Serious bug, not a grave bug, as the package would still be usable for about half the machines. (Unless it has other reasons to be promoted to a higher severity)

A bug that affects only machines with an uncommon peice of hardware would be a normal bug, unless it had other reasons to be promoted to a higher serverity.

That is the spirit of the policy, even though reportbug's wording does not quite reflect it.