Re: repackaged .orig.tar.gz (was: RFS: libmsn)

* gregor herrmann [Tue, 18 Nov 2008 23:15:07 +0100]:

> On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 19:01:30 +0100, Adeodato Simó wrote:

> > > Should I rename the directory in the .orig.tar and make
> > > tamper-checking more difficult, or not rename the directory in the
> > > .orig.tar and make tamper-checking easier?
> > You should not, dpkg-source copes well enough.

> True, on the other hand the Developer's Reference suggests in
> 6.7.8.2:

> A repackaged .orig.tar.gz
> [..]
>   4. should use <packagename>-<upstream-version>.orig as the name
>      of the top-level directory in its tarball. This makes it possible
>      to distinguish pristine tarballs from repackaged ones.

> Is this recommendation moot?

No, not really. Note that in this case we were not talking about a
repackaged tarball, but just one with the "bunzip & gzip" dance.
Incidentally, the version in Debian was to be 4.0~beta1 instead of the
upstream 4.0-beta1, and Pau wondered if *this* needed a repacking, which
it did not.

Hope that was clear enough. :-)

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

                   Listening to: Dar Williams - In Love But Not At Peace