Re: RFS: libmsn

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 1:18 AM, Miriam Ruiz  wrote:
> 2008/11/16 Miriam Ruiz :
>> 2008/11/15 Pau Garcia i Quiles :
>>
>>> It builds these binary packages:
>>> libmsn     - high-level C++ library for MSN Messenger [runtime]
>>> libmsn-dbg - high-level C++ library for MSN Messenger [debug]
>>> libmsn-dev - high-level C++ library for MSN Messenger [devel]
>>
>> Some quick comments:
>>
>> You shouldn't call your runtime library just libmsn, see [1]. You
>> definitely shouldn't get rid of that lintian's message with an
>> override.
>>
>> The package is GPL without any special clauses and links against
>> OpenSSL. OpenSSL license is not compatible with GPL AFAIK
>>
>> [1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/
>
> Sorry, I meant [1]
> http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/libpkg-guide.html
>
> BTW, it's not a big issue, but I find it cleaner when I have to
> repackage a bzip2 tarball to gzip to do:
>
> bunzip2 program.tar.bz2
> gzip program.tar
>
> instead of unpackaging it complely and repackaging it again. Thus at
> least the MD5 of the tar is maintained. It is not really important
> anyway, but I like it more, easier to compare :)

Please note I did not just unpackage and repackage it again but I also
renamed the directory from 4.0-beta1 to 4.0~beta1 because:

$ dpkg --compare-versions 4.0-beta1 gt 4.0; echo $?
0

$ dpkg --compare-versions 4.0~beta1 gt 4.0; echo $?
1

Should I rename the directory in the .orig.tar and make
tamper-checking more difficult, or not rename the directory in the
.orig.tar and make tamper-checking easier?

- --
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org