Re: RFS: esmtp (updated package)

* José Fonseca <jose.r.fonseca@gmail.com> [081114 06:38]:
> >   dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libdl.so.2 could be avoided if "debian/esmtp/usr/bin/esmtp" were not uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
> >   dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libssl.so.0.9.8 could be avoided if "debian/esmtp/usr/bin/esmtp" were not uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
> >   dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libcrypto.so.0.9.8 could be avoided if "debian/esmtp/usr/bin/esmtp" were not uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
> >   dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: dependency on libpthread.so.0 could be avoided if "debian/esmtp/usr/bin/esmtp" were not uselessly linked against it (they use none of its symbols).
> >
> > I'm planning to request lintian override. If anybody has a better
> > suggestion please let me know.
>
> Never mind -- I've just learned about --as-needed ld flag that solves
> both issues.

Please note the --as-needed flag does some black magic so unless you
know what it does and have tested things still work in every condition
be carefull with it.

Usually it is easier to just reduce the needed dependencies. For example
by giving the make call a fixed LIBS= argument to override the one
written to the Makefile, modifying the LIBS= line in Makefile or by adding
your own config script filtering stuff out.

The easiest in your case seems to be to change all "$(MAKE)" in your
debian/rules with "$(MAKE) LIBS=-lesmtp". I'd also suggest to give
configure a LDFLAGS="-Wl,-z,defs" to make sure nothing bad happens.

BTW: if you contact upstream, please also tell them to:

1) never ever add -I (or -D) to CFLAGS (it belongs to CPPFLAGS)
2) not to output -I/usr/include, -L/usr/lib or -L/lib it only make logs more hard
   to read.

Hochachtungsvoll,
	Bernhard R. Link