Using pbuilder to test packages with gcc-snapshot

Dear Debian Mentors,

I was wondering if you could suggest a nice way to use pbuilder to
test package builds with gcc-snapshot. Currently, I've got a way
(albeit crude way) to get that working, and I have listed it here:

Bottom part of: http://wiki.debian.org/PbuilderTricks

However, one of my packages has a "make check" routine which runs
some executables and compares the output generated for sanity
checks. Unfortunately, the checks fail, as the programs fail to run
because the LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not set to load the libraries for
gcc-snapshot (e.g. the _new_ libstdc++ present in
/usr/lib/gcc-snapshot/lib. When building outside a pbuilder, setting a
nice LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable works. So, my questions are:

1. Is there a way to set an arbitrary environment variable while
   running pbuilder (in my case, LD_LIBRARY_PATH).

2. Is there a better way of doing gcc-snapshot testing with pbuilder?

Either way, I promise to update the wiki page with the solution I get,
and will then request the person filing the gcc-snapshot FTBFS bugs to
point to that page, if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Kumar
--