Re: RFS: fex (2nd attempt)

On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 20:59 +0100, Vincent Bernat wrote:
> OoO Lors de  la soirée naissante du mardi 04  novembre 2008, vers 18:39,
> Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> disait :

> This kind of service is really  useful for users that keep sending large
> piece of data through mail servers  and then complain that this does not
> work. They  need an  easy service allowing  to send large  files without
> learning something new  (like a FTP client), which is  almost as fast as
> attaching a document  to an email and provides  the same privacy options
> than  an unencrypted  email (so,  uploading to  a shared  FTP is  not an
> option, unless  you excessively tune  the FTP server).   Otherwise, they
> will just keep sending files via mail.

Sorry, that just smacks of "let's not bother educating users, let's add
yet more packages instead". Besides, FTP is new and Fex is not ??? How
about helping users see that sending a 40Gb PowerPoint document is not
actually friendly - no matter how you send it? (You think I'm joking?!)

Stop it.

If it bothers the sysadmin that much, write code that strips the
attachment and puts it onto a website or ftp server and attaches a
comment to the email along the lines of how mailing list details are
added to lots of other emails.

Sorry, this package just fixes the wrong problem in the wrong way using
the wrong tools, IMHO.

Do we really need to waste our time on this kind of package when we
should actually be trying to get Lenny out?

Sponsoring is not an excuse for uploading bonkers packages.

--

Neil Williams