Re: RFS: fex (2nd attempt)

OoO Lors de  la soirée naissante du mardi 04  novembre 2008, vers 18:39,
Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> disait :

>> F*EX is not an anonymous service, the admin must register the user with
>> his e-mail address and auth-ID string. This task must be done with the CLI
>> program "fac" (F*EX admin control). You can imagine the auth-ID as some kind
>> of low security password.

> low security - i.e. no better than HTTP basic auth which is probably
> easier to configure and easier for users too. How is this any better
> than FTP?

[...]

>> I would be glad if someone uploaded this package for me.

> I can't see any point, myself. Sounds like another package that no-one
> needs in Debian, except the maintainer.

This kind of service is really  useful for users that keep sending large
piece of data through mail servers  and then complain that this does not
work. They  need an  easy service allowing  to send large  files without
learning something new  (like a FTP client), which is  almost as fast as
attaching a document  to an email and provides  the same privacy options
than  an unencrypted  email (so,  uploading to  a shared  FTP is  not an
option, unless  you excessively tune  the FTP server).   Otherwise, they
will just keep sending files via mail.
--
Don't over-comment.