Re: Please clarify: to bugreport or not bugreport

On Sat, Nov 01, 2008 at 11:37:53PM +0200, Eric Pozharski wrote:
> Hence the problem;  Sometimes I FTBFS some package -- because
> Build-Depends either misses some package or lacks explicitly set
> relation.
>
> FTBFS itself doesn't make problem for me (each time I'd managed to
> figure out a block and workaround it manually).  I still can't decide --
> should (would? could?) I bugreport this?
>
> Look, I admit that I build unusual way.  Maybe it's not the problem?
> (I've solved that twice today, that's why I post.)

The most foolproof way of testing whether the package in question
builds in pbuilder. pbuilder starts with a clean chroot, downloads the
build dependencies, installs them and then copies and builds your
package in that clean environment. If the package you suspect fails to
build on a pbuilder environment, then that most likely points to a
serious bug.

You can find the documentation of pbuilder here:

http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/software/pbuilder-doc/pbuilder-doc.html

Hope this helps; else please tell me if I have misunderstood
something.

Thanks.

Kumar
--