Re: Debian packages containing large files

Hello Sammy,

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 19:52, Sammy Yu <temijun@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Basile,
>   Ah okay let me clarify.  This package is not for public consumption
> and would not be part of debian distribution.  I'm skimming a subset
> (percentage based) of our live production database which goes through
> some process which generates a debian package in the end.   The debian
> package is then installed in several different test machines.  This
> process could happen daily so it doesn't make sense for the test
> machines to be filling their local mysql install with the large
> mysqldump which takes 6-7 hours.  I recently raised the percentage and
> noticed that the debian packages will no longer install.  I'm mainly
> looking for help in explaining why a large file in a debian package
> would cause the install process to fail.  Thanks!

(Let's try to move the problem back where it belongs) did you consider
mysql replication capabilities[1]? The configuration could be a single
master server and many slaves (the tests server), so that the
canonical information is stored in the current production database and
the local copies are updated using mysql functionalities.

[1] http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/replication.html