Debian packages containing large files

Hi,
    I've created a debian package which has a large file that  is
slightly over 2 gigs of ram in size.  When I try to install it on a
system with 16 GB of RAM via dpkg -i.  It gives me

Unpacking replacement data-instance0 ...
dpkg: error processing data-instance0-1.0-20081014.deb (--install):
 failed to allocate buffer in buffer_copy (backend dpkg-deb during
`./var/lib/mysql/extdbfiles/0/archetype/table1.ibd'): Cannot allocate
memory

The system is definitely not lacking any memory.  Is there another
place I can look at to debug it?

Thanks,
Sammy