Re: RFS: scim-waitzar

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 1:14 PM, S'orlok Reaves <sorlok_reaves@yahoo.com> wrote:

> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/s/scim-waitzar/

Some comments:

debian/rules contains lots of commented out stuff and other unnessecary parts.

debian/docs shouldn't distribute the NEWS file until it contains
something useful.

debian/README doesn't look very useful.

debian/control:

please read the best practicies for package descriptions

are you sure chrpath is needed for building?

debian/copyright is missing some of the licenses and copyright holders
mentioned in the code:

src/gettext.h: LGPL
src/waitzar-lib/WordBuilder.*: Apache 2.0
src/waitzar-lib/SentenceList.*: Apache 2.0

Much of src/waitzar-lib/ is non-free and non-redistributable (you are
illegally distributing it), please remove that before asking for an
upload.

debian/dirs isn't nessecary

debian/changelog is missing an ITP

Please run "lintian -i -I" on your package, it gives this:

I: scim-waitzar source: debian-watch-file-is-missing

Comments on the upstream stuff:

It would be nice if the user guide were distributed in a less
proprietary format. I'd suggest plain UTF-8 text or if you need fonts
or images, DocBook, HTML or ODF. The advantage of using DocBook for
that would be that it is easily transformable to a variety of formats.

The user manual says it is GPLv3 but the code says it is GPLv2.

In general you should not embed copies of code from other projects
(such as waitzar or kanaung), instead build a new package for the
other project instead (and then depend/build-depend on it).

Is scim-waitzar directly derived from the Windows WaitZar? The user
manual seems to indicate that you relicensed parts of it from BSD to
GPL, which you usually aren't allowed to do unless you wrote them.

>   To view these two documents, you will need the
> Zawgyi-One and Myanmar3 Burmese fonts:

Why is that, shouldn't any Unicode font with Burmese work? For
instance we have ttf-sil-padauk in Debian.

> http://waitzar.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/release_1.5+_beta/Myanmar3.ttf
> http://waitzar.googlecode.com/svn-history/r219/trunk/release_1.5/Zawgyi-One.ttf

If these are DFSG-free and are Unicode fonts, you might want to join
the Debian Fonts Task Force and package them too.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise