Re: RFS: quickplay

On Sun, 2008-09-21 at 11:46 +0200, Patrick Schoenfeld wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Charliej wrote:
> > That depends on what your definition of what "mature" is?  If you mean
> > "mature" as in will the software do what it's suppose to do then yes.
> > If you mean "mature" as in time then probable not.
>
> mature means for me that the package is somewhat ready for use by "end users".
> That means that it works mostly stable, does what its expected to do and
> does not make a half-baked impression on the user (we have such software
> in the archive and I dislike it, so I won't help with getting such
> software in)
>
> > Actually upstream was not using versioning until I requested that he do
> > so.  Hence the low version number, I thought 0.1 would be a good place
> > to start.
>
> Ah, I see. Does that mean that the software already has some development
> history behind it? I'm just asking out of curiousity, I didn't yet test the
> software.
>
> > IMHO any package that introduces new features would be considered a
> > "work in progress".  I would consider Debian itself a "work in progress"
> > in that it changes and evolves on a daily basis which is a good thing.
>
> My use of "work in progress" was about the homepage, which does not yet
> contain any useful information. As I did not test the software yet, this
> and the low version number is my only impression of the development. It
> makes the impression that the development just started and that it might
> be to early to be included into a distribution. If that impression is
> wrong; good. Thats why I asked you.
>
> Best Regards,
> Patrick

Patrick

I have been thinking about this quite a bit, and you are absolutely
correct.  Upstreams documentation is sourly lacking. I asked myself the
question "If I was the end user would I use something so poorly
documented" and of course the answer was no.  So I have decided to take
quickplay down from m.d.n for now.  I will keep the ITP bug open as I
will be working with upstream to improve on the short comings you have
expressed above and resubmit at a later date.

Once again thank you for taking the time to look a quickplay, your
feedback was very much appreciated. =)

Charlie