Re: RFS: arping (updated package)

Hi Giuseppe.

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 11:58, Sandro Tosi <matrixhasu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 13:52, Giuseppe Iuculano <giuseppe@iuculano.it> wrote:
>> Dear mentors,
>>
>> I am looking for a sponsor for the new version 2.08-1
>> of my package "arping".
> [8<]
>> I would be glad if someone uploaded this package for me.
>
> I'm going to review your package.

Nice work, uploaded!

Just some notes, not too big to stop the upload, but worth for a fix
in a new release:

(just to give a clue to curious users what it's all about), eventually
grab some phrases from upstream webpage

* orig tarball: instruct upstream to remove .gitignore in dist target?

* README.Debian: wrap at 80 column, indent the commands (cp...) to be clearer

* rules:

ifeq (,$(findstring nostrip,$(DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS)))
        INSTALL_FLAGS += -s
endif

  - am I wrong, or this add "-s" to install (that will strip debug
symbols & co) when DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS contains "nostrip"? if so, then
it's the opposite of what you want :) [it might be un-used, hence
remove it]

  - you're not doing any business in configure, thus remove it (And
all its hanging children)

  - clean, you can merge "rm -f ..." with dh_clean (they do the same thing)

* did you forward patches upstream? hope so, if not then please do it now

Keep work this way! And thanks for your contribution to Debian.

Cheers,
Sandro