one source, both contrib and main binaries - possible?

Hello,

I'm creating a quite large package that builds to several binaries. It
is clear that some of the binaries will have to go to contrib; on the
other hand I want to keep as many as possible in main.

Can I mix main and contrib binaries as the product of one single source
package, or do I have to split the source package in two (e.g. -main and
-contrib)? I guess that such a "mixed" source package - if possible at
all - would have to go to contrib, right?

Are there any other options I am missing?

Best regards,

Andreas