Re: pbuilder and debhelper: Test suite run before dependencies satisfied

Le 12 sept. 08 à 15:55, Ben Finney a écrit :

Paul Gevers <paul@climbing.nl> writes:

You can tell pbuilder to include extra packages in the environment by
setting the EXTRAPACKAGES variable.

That doesn't scale. I can't expect everyone who might be building this
package (e.g. a sponsor, or the buildd hosts) to install packages
without specification from the package configuration itself.

I know I can hack around this; that's not what I'm seeking. I'm
wondering why such hacking would be necessary, and suspecting that
either my assumptions, or the assumptions of the build tools, or
perhaps both, need readjusting.

Hi,

some consider it good behavior to run the test suites at build time, because it will help you detect bugs that happen on other architectures than your own. And you can only fix bugs that you have detected. This way you are certain that the packages you build are functional, to the extent tested by the test suite. However, AFAIK, policy does not mandate to do so (nor to use dh_build).

Anyway, if you _choose_ to run the tests at build-time (or to use tools that run them), you _have to_ put all the "test suite" dependencies as build-dependencies. The build-dependencies will be satisfied at the right time in pbuilder.

Regards, Thibaut.