Re: Trying to understand patch management - in combination with version control

also sprach George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net> [2008.09.03.1926 +0100]:
> Yeah, rebase being very cool is sometimes abnormally used, so I'm
> not sure you have choosen the right git counterpart to the bzr's
> loom feature. It should be compared with topgit instead, which
> self-maintained source package is a real demonstration (see
> README.source, README.gz is also very helpful ;-) of how topgit
> can be used for maintaining your patch queue.

for further technical discussions on this, if you are interested.

Note that topgit's self-maintained source package is
work-in-progress and just an idea right now. The whole workflow
needs polishing (and people trying and improving it). You might like
to watch

  http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2008/debconf8/high/547_Packaging_with_version_control_systems.ogg
  slides: http://people.debian.org/~madduck/talks/vcs-pkg_debconf8_2008.08.11/slides.s5.html

for more information.

all software projects are done by iterative prototyping.
some companies call their prototypes "releases", that's all.