Re: Trying to understand patch management - in combination with version control

On Wednesday 03 September 2008 05:04:12 Ben Finney wrote:
--cut--
> I'm experimenting with Bazaar's "loom" feature, which allows a single
> branch to contain multiple "threads" of development. A loom allows any
> of the threads to be advanced, turned into separate patches as needed,
> while still having a coherent end result representing the aggregate of
> all of them
> <URL:http://bazaar-vcs.org/Documentation/LoomAsSmarterQuilt>.
>
> Others might discuss the "rebase" feature of Git, but that method
> loses too much intermediate state and prevents sharing the branch with
> others. I prefer the "loom" approach in Bazaar.

Yeah, rebase being very cool is sometimes abnormally used, so I'm not sure you
have choosen the right git counterpart to the bzr's loom feature. It should
be compared with topgit instead, which self-maintained source package is a
real demonstration (see README.source, README.gz is also very helpful ;-) of
how topgit can be used for maintaining your patch queue.