Re: Becoming a new contributor

On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 09:31 -0500, john.lindgren@tds.net wrote:

> bartm@knars.be wrote:
>
> > Does this program have a homepage on the internet where it can be
> > downloaded ?
> >
> > Is it your work ?
> >
> > Have you registered a "request for package" (RFP) as described on this
> > page ?
> > http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/#l2
>
> Yes, it is my work. No, it does not have a homepage on the Internet.

It probably should - even just a bare webpage describing the program and
somewhere to download it.

>  I have no
> experience in setting up servers or webpages.

There are numerous sites that can provide what you need without doing
the configuration yourself. SourceForge and Alioth are two examples
(although alioth is hosted by Debian it is not just for Debian packages
or Debian packaging and it is easier and faster to setup than SF).

> No, I have not submitted a
> "request for package".

You need at least an ITP - Intent to Package - bug filed against wnpp.

> This seems to be oriented toward situations where a
> program is already being distributed on the Internet and a third party would
> like to see it in Debian.

An ITP is a basic part of getting a package into Debian - it is
particularly important for sponsorship. An ITP and an RFS together need
to cover all the information a sponsor would need in order to review the
package.

--

Neil Williams