Re: ITR: dbishell - QA upload

On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 13:23 +0200, Joergen Haegg wrote:
> > I was prepared to work with dbishell to aid support of free software in
> > Debian but the free software clients have already surpassed what
> > dbishell can offer, IMHO.
>
> Maybe you could list those clients, I havn't found anyone else except dbishell.
> I would be more than happy to use them instead.

The free software clients provided by the free software database manager
packages themselves, mysql and psql etc.

> (Those other DBI clients listed on the sourceforge page are not even packaged.)

There is no good reason to use DBI to create a shell in perl when better
shells already exist without using DBI.

> As for the current bugs in dbishell, there are only three.

See the rest of this thread.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2008/08/msg00417.html

The problems are manifold, I'm not going to spend any more time on them
and I'm not prepared to do any more work on dbishell.

> So, what else needs to be done to dbishell to keep it in unstable?

Someone needs to take on the package as maintainer and upstream.

> And I don't see why dbishell should be connected to Oracle, DBD::Oracle
> is just another DBD-module.

None of the other modules have any useful role as shell clients compared
to the existing shell clients that do not need to use DBI. DBI is fine
for other purposes but the use of DBI for a shell is outmoded by the
superior clients available direct from the database packages.

> Sorry for sounding a bit aggressive, but all programs doesn't have
> to be state of the art to be useful. :-)

Bit rot is not a nice thing either.

> > I'm certainly not going to maintain it and Sandro has already stated
> > that he doesn't have sufficient interest in the package to do the extra
> > work required (effectively becoming upstream). Are you going to do it?
>
> Maybe I will.

Then read the entire thread, take over upstream and fix all the issues
from the review. Then retitle the RM as an ITA and try to find a
sponsor.

--

Neil Williams