Re: RFS: replaceit (#490695)

On Saturday 23 August 2008 23:08:08 Jonathan Wiltshire wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 10:28:47PM +0300, George Danchev wrote:
> > 	I can't figure out why you want to NMU your own package, perhaps there
> > might be some reason I can't think of right now or it is just an
> > unintentional blunder.
>
> Could you clarify NMU?

Ops sorry, NMU = Non-maintainer upload. On my second thoughts it dawned on me
that it might be your AM (Application Manager) who asked you to prepare an
NMU, and he is now MIA (Missing In Action), but now I realize that you might
had issued dch when your name<mail> had not been listed in Maintainer or
Uploaders fields, therefor `Non-maintainer upload' had been added. Nevermind,
you want 1.0.0-2 or 1.0.0-1 in your debian/changelog. On the other hand,
there is nothing wrong to upload an NMU of your package for you, but we don't
have any good reasons to do so ;-)

> > Also, you can use the most recent 3.8.0 standards version, and as I
> > can see there are no changes needed to the package, but anyway you can
> > check that with: /usr/share/doc/debian-policy/upgrading-checklist.txt.gz.
>
> I will update to 3.8.0, I hadn't changed that from dh_make.

I see, lintian is here to warn.

> > Sponsoring would be best performed by your Application Manager, but sure
> > in case s/he is MIA, I will try to review and upload that package for
> > you. At least it doesn't seem to be beyond my grasp, and I can't promise
> > I would upload large and complex stuff which I don't personally use and
> > understand ;-). However, posting to -mentors mailing list is always a
> > better idea, since you get more peer review.
>
> As this is my first package I don't yet have a sponsor, and I
> understood from the New Maintainers pages that I should already be
> involved before applying.

You are correct. It is best to be involved before applying. So, correct the
standards version and debian revision and I will sponsor.

> If this is incorrect should I apply for
> maintainers status and get into the system first before sending an RFS?

Anyone can send an RFS and gets eventually sponsored, but it is always better
if they intend to enter NM (New Maintainers) queue, pass it successfully and
take responsibility of their packages at some future point.