Re: Help due to new features

Ricardo Ichizo <n1ghtcr4wler@gmail.com> writes:

> There is a open bug requesting IPv6 support in netpipes, but the
> original source does not have this feature. How to proceed ?

This is best resolved upstream, so work with the upstream maintainer,
especially with their bug reporting system, to track and resolve this.

Of course, one of the joys of being a Debian package maintainer is
that there may not be an active upstream BTS, nor even an active
upstream. In which case the Debian package maintainer's role takes on
those jobs too.

> It's not difficult improve this request but if I could implement it,
> so I must separate this feature in a new package (native package),
> e.g., as "netpipes6" ?!

Such a thing should never be a native package. A native package is
*only* for packages that have no reasonable purpose outside Debian.

Even if the Debian maintainer is also the acting maintainer of the
"upstream" source, the changes that implement Debian packaging should
always be applied separately to a "pristine" source tarball
<URL:http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#bpp-origtargz>.

--
 \           “People are very open-minded about new things, as long as |
  `\         they're exactly like the old ones.” —Charles F. Kettering |