Re: Question about Debian-native package

El Tuesday 22 July 2008 11:20:40 Ben Finney escribió:
> Noel David Torres Taño <envite@rolamasao.org> writes:
>
> > I'm the (new) maintainer of wmaker-data which is a package
> > containing files from several upstream sources. Some files have been
> > downloaded from one place, some from other place, etc.
> >
> > Which is the recommended practice here?
>
> If the package could reasonably be useful outside the context of
> Debian, it should not be a Debian-native package. The Debian
> packaging, and the (possibly empty) set of changes to the upstream
> source, should be separated from the "pristine" upstream source.

Thanks, that mention of "could reasonably be useful outside the context of Debian" is the point I didn't had in mind.

> > I see the following options:
> >
> > A) - The package was put together specifically for Debian, so it
> > must be native
>
> No. See Developer's Reference §6.7.8.2, "Repackaged Upstream Source":
>
>     You **should** upload packages with a pristine source tarball if
>     possible, but there are various reasons why it might not be
>     possible. This is the case if upstream does not distribute the
>     source as gzipped tar at all, or if [non-free].
>
>     In these cases the developer must construct a suitable
>     .orig.tar.gz file himself. We refer to such a tarball as a
>     repackaged upstream source. Note that a repackaged upstream source
>     is different from a Debian-native package. A repackaged source
>     still comes with Debian-specific changes in a separate .diff.gz
>     and still has a version number composed of <upstream-version> and
>     <debian-revision>.

I readed it but I feel it is better to ask if not completely sure.

> > B) - The files are not for Debian
>
> or rather, they are meaningfully useful outside Debian.
>
> > so it must not be native and needs a orig.tar.gz
>
> Yes.
>
> > I feel that correct answer is B but here is where the real problem
> > arises for me. How to set up a orig.tar.gz file from several places?
>
> Construct a procedure to do so automatically, e.g. a command-line
> program. Set a target 'get-orig-source' in the 'debian/rules' file
> that invokes the program you just wrote.

I will do.

> For an example that I recently had to do myself, see the
> 'lojban-common' package version 1.5-2. For another, see 'vim-scripts'
> version 20080705-1.
>
> --
>  \            Hercules Grytpype-Thynne: “Well, Neddie, I'm going to be |
>   `\      frank.”  Ned Seagoon: “Right, I'll be Tom.”  Count Moriarty: |
> _o__)           “I'll be Gladys.” *slap* —The Goon Show, _World War I_ |
> Ben Finney

Many thanks. Next version will behave that way.

Thanks (again)

Noel Torres
er Envite