Re: Newbie Help - Ruby on Rails packaging questions.

On 07/21/2008 03:20 PM, Richard Hurt wrote :
> OK, I am attempting to package up redmine and need some general
> pointers.  I'm going through the New Maintainers Guide tutorial and have
> run into a few things that I need clarification on.
>
> 1) Is there any type of automated way to extract license info from a
> series of files?  I am using a simple grep to do my heavy lifting but it
> seems pretty crude; has no one built anything better?
>
> 2) redmine itself is under GPL-2 but there are some files in the archive
> under various other license (MIT, LGPL, Ruby) and some files have no
> license at all.  How do I represent this information in the
> debian/copyright file?  Listing each file and it's license individually
> would be overwhelming.  What is the best practice here?
You'll have to have all this information in the copyright file. If you like,
have a look at http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/CopyrightFormat on how you
could format this information. Usually, there are only finitely many
different combinations of copyright/license, to which you can list the
corresponding files, possibly using wildcards like *,? ...

Good luck! ;-)
Jan