Changing of behavior: How to tell the user?

Dear Mentors,

I'm the maintainer of the CVSNT package. This is a better replacement for CVS and just like CVS it can work as server or client.

One of the enhancements (on the server side) was replacing the old directory based file locks with a so-called lock server, which handled all the locking on a per file basis. What I did until now was to start this cvslockd daemon in an init script regardless whether the user used CVSNT as client or server.

In the next few weeks should now come out a new version upstream and I updated my package, fixed the bugs and I also want to prevent that cvslockd is started every time. So I created a configuration file /etc/defaults/cvsnt where an environment variable defines whether or not the daemon gets started. I figured that there are probably more client users than server users and set the default to no longer start cvslockd.

My questions:
1) Is this change of behavior desirable/do-able?
2) Is /etc/default/cvsnt the right place to turn on/off the daemon at all?
3) How shall I inform the server users that they know that they have to configure the file to get the lock daemon started again?

TIA and best regards
	Andreas
--

Andreas Tscharner   andy@vis.ethz.ch   ICQ-No. 14356454