Re: Package extraction process (dpkg-source, format 1.0 and 3.0 (quilt))

> >       * In the same section there is a note:
> >         "Note: dpkg-source expects the source tree to have all patches
> >         applied when you generate the  source package.  This is not the
> >         case when the source tree has been obtained by unpacking a
> >         source package using the Format: 1.0 for instance."
> >         But unpacking format 1.0 packages does lead to a tree with all
> >         patches applied, doesn't it?
>
> Not always, since extracting  a non-native package prepared as format 1.0 is
> done by first unpacking the .orig.tar.gz and then applying the patch in
> the .diff.gz. Now, you have two kinds of diff.gz - hooligan ones which
> directly modify upstream files when applied as one fat, monolitic and
> illogical changeset, and such that create logically separated diffs in
> debian/patches/ which are then applied build time.

So you will not have all patches applied only, if you are using a patch
system like dpatch or quilt - which for format 1.0 had nothing to do
with dpkg-source.

> >         Does this refer to using some
> >         external patch system like dpatch?
>
> Not mandatory. Directly citing from #482741:
> "In this process, if the .diff.gz contains changes to upstream files,
> dpkg-source will have created a corresponding patch in
> debian/patches/debian-changes-2.1.0-3 and will have registered that
> patch in a quilt series (debian/patches/series, it is created if needed).
> All the patches listed in the "series" file are applied directly during
> the extraction (dpkg-source -x). quilt itself is used if available (and
> will thus lead to the creation of the .pc directory), otherwise
> dpkg-source applies the patches by itself."

This is true for the 3.0 format, but not for 1.0, or am I missing
something?

Best regards

Ben

--