Package extraction process (dpkg-source, format 1.0 and 3.0 (quilt))

Hello,

I am trying to understand the new dpkg-source format 3.0 (quilt).
There are two points in the documentation (man-page) I do not
understand:
      * In the section "Building" of the description of 3.0 (quilt) it
        is stated:
        "The  updated  debian  directory  and  the  list of modified
        binaries is then used to regenerate the debian tarball."
        Why is it "regenerate" instead of "generate" here? I believe, it
        is not uncommon, that no debian tarball exists before.
      * In the same section there is a note:
        "Note: dpkg-source expects the source tree to have all patches
        applied when you generate the  source package.  This is not the
        case when the source tree has been obtained by unpacking a
        source package using the Format: 1.0 for instance."
        But unpacking format 1.0 packages does lead to a tree with all
        patches applied, doesn't it? Does this refer to using some
        external patch system like dpatch?

I would file a bug report against dpkg-source if you believe my concerns
are justified.

Best regards

Ben
--