Re: I adopted a package but nobody seems to want to upload it

El Friday 11 July 2008 21:57:13 Serafeim Zanikolas escribió:
> Hi Noel,
>
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 04:21:03PM +0200, Noel David Torres Taño wrote:
> > Hello all:
> >
> > I've adopted wmaker-data which was Orphaned, and adapted it to actual
> > Policy. It's in mentors.debian.net but it seems that nobody wants to upload
> > it.
> >
> > Can somebody upload it and help me a (very little bit) to make next version
> > lintian-clean and updated?
>
> IANADL but here's some feedback:
>
> - you've built it as a native package when instead it should be a non-native
>   one (see sect 5.4. in the developer's reference and sect 2.4. in the new
>   maintainer's guide); your additions/changes should instead be in a separate
>   .diff.gz
The package on which I based had the same problem. I noticed it and make it clear in my comentary on mentors.debian.net
It had other lintian warnings and I fixed them all (as Dmitry E. Oboukhov noted).
I want to fix this for the new release, but _that_ is why I want some help from this list (besides the upload). I do not know which of the two options to choose:
a) Create a non-native package incuding a orig.tar.gz
b) Create a native package changing the version numbering
The problem is that the package I adopted used a non-native numbering without a orig.tar.gz and thought it was not right to change it too much for an adoption upload.

> - the short description should start with a lower-case letter
Fixed for next release

> - in debian/copyright after "this package was debianized by
>   [...]", add "and is currently maintained by <your name and email here>"
Thanks, I didn't think I was worth so much credit. Fixed for next release

> - in debian/changelog, s/to fill actual Policy requirements/to comply with Policy/
Thanks for the tip. Can't fix since it has been uploaded. I'm very sorry.

> - there's a stale debian/debhelper.log
Fixed for next release. It probably was a remaining from the original build system.

> Cheers,
> Serafeim

Thanks for all advices

> ps. these are pretty basic mistakes; consider at least skimming through the
> cited docs

I've readed them completely, but it is not the same than using them regularly. I hope I will be better from now on, with your help.

Thanks again

Noel Torres
er Envite