Re: License help needed (nvi 1.81.6-3)

Dear Jan,

On Sun, 06 Jul 2008, Jan Christoph Nordholz wrote:
> I've uploaded an updated package to the above URL and also uploaded the new
> copyright file separately to
>
>  	http://www-pool.math.tu-berlin.de/~hesso/deb/nvi.copyright
>
> Short explanation:
> * All files that refer to LICENSE instead of including an own license
>   statement are covered by BSD-3 and pose no problem.
>
> * The regex/ subdirectory is covered by regex/COPYRIGHT. Original author
>   seems to be Henry Spencer, whose license text I have included as-is.
>   Subsequent modifications are by UCB and therefore under BSD-3.
>
> * The clib/ subdirectory has BSD-4 license texts, but the only copyright
>   holder is UCB, so due to their retroactive removal of the ad-clause I
>   believe those to be equivalent to BSD-3.
>
> * dist/ltmain.sh is FSF code under GPL-2+.

This is more or less what I thought as well. Some points:

 a. dist/ltmain.sh is a generated file and so I think it need not
 be described in debian/copyright separately.  That file says:

    	# As a special exception to the GNU General Public License, if you
    	# distribute this file as part of a program that contains a
    	# configuration script generated by Autoconf, you may include it under
    	# the same distribution terms that you use for the rest of that program.

 b. While I concur with you on the clib/ directory, I think it
 would be good if we get a second opinion (perhaps Joerg's?) from
 debian-mentors. Alternatively/additionally, the statement you made
 above should probably be made in debian/copyright so that it is clear
 on what basis we are drawing our conclusions. This is because the
 files explicitly contain the BSD-4 clause license.

 c. The debian/copyright file in the URL above makes no mention of the
 debian packaging. That is copyrighted by the maintainer(s) and a
 license has to be specified.

Regards,

Kapil.