License help needed (nvi 1.81.6-3)

Dear Jan,
(I am cc-ing this to debian-mentors some of whom might be able to
help.)

I looked at your packaging at:
	http://www-pool.math.tu-berlin.de/~hesso/deb/nvi_1.81.6-3.dsc

I agree that the copyright situation is a bit complex.

Basically, Joerg has raised the question because the current
debian/copyright does not clarify matters enough.

I would try to create a debian/copyright which tries to clearly
collate and organise all the copyright assertions in the code. We can
then separately worry about interpretations and what an appropriate
aggregated copyright is! (A document that will help to organise things is
http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/CopyrightFormat)

For example, "grep -rl LICENSE" gives all the files that refer to the
file LICENSE which is the BSD 3-clause license file. This reduces the
number of files that one needs to examine for variations.

Another example. You probably need to include the top portion of
regex/COPYRIGHT in debian/copyright according what is stated there.
That is the license of Henry Spencer who is the original author.
Moreover, he has specifically said that *his* code is _not_ subject to
any license of the Regents of the University of California!

The _modifications_ to that code are under distributed under BSD-3.

This is all a bit painful but I am sure that we will all thank you for
this effort. I too will try to help by producing my version of
debian/copyright for this package.

Regards,

Kapil.