Re: Advice on project name change request

IANADD

From: Matteo Vescovi <matteo.vescovi@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Advice on project name change request
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 09:52:16 +0000 (GMT)

> Hallo mentors,
>
> I come to you to ask for advice on how to best handle the situation I'm about to describe, hoping you can provide some insights.
>
> I am the developer and maintainer of soothsayer [1], a GPL-licensed intelligent predictive text-entry system, which I am also packaging for Debian [2].
>
> Recently, I received an email from a software company called Applied Human Factors [3], who have been selling an application called "Soothsayer Word Prediction" for the past 12 years.
>
> They kindly and respectfully requested that I change the name of my soothsayer project, so that it is not confused with their "Soothsayer Word Prediction" product.
>
> I understand their concern and I find their request very reasonable.
> I intend to comply with their request and change my project's name, despite the fact that the soothsayer name had begun to receive some attention [4].
>
> I would like some advice on the following items:
> - how different should the new name be? I considered using names such as "predict" or "guess", but they are already taken, so I thought about using "soothie" (short for soothsayer, sort of :-) ), but would this name be different enough? I'm currently leaning towards using "presage" as the new name.

andrewdo@al:/var/lib/myfrdcsa/codebases/internal/perllib/scripts$ bard -c soothsayer
$VAR1 = {
          'Rhyme' => undef,
          'Regex' => '.',
          'MaxSize' => undef,
          'SeedWords' => [
                           'soothsayer'
                         ],
          'Relation' => '==',
          'Syllables' => '0',
          'Subtone' => undef
        };

forecaster, illusionist, predictor, prognosticator, seer, soothsayer,
visionary, conjurer, conjuror, intellect, intellectual, magician,
performer, performing artist, prestidigitator, computer, computing
device, computing machine, data processor, electronic computer,
information, information processing system, beholder, diviner,
observer, oracle, perceiver, percipient, prophesier, prophet,
vaticinator, Laputan, airy, impractical, individual, mortal, person,
somebody, someone, soul, utopian (vs. dystopian), windy, conjure man,
witch doctor, faculty, intelligence, mental faculty, mind, module,
reason, understanding, highbrow, highbrowed, intellectual
(vs. nonintellectual), mental (vs. physical), noetic, rational,
necromancer, occultist, sorcerer, thaumaturge, thaumaturgist, wizard,
entertainer, calculator, estimator, expert, figurer, machine,
reckoner, accumulation, accusal, accusation, aggregation, assemblage,
cognition, collection, content, data, entropy, info, information
measure, knowledge, message, noesis, selective information, subject
matter, substance, divine, elysian, glorious (vs. inglorious),
godlike, godly, heavenly (vs. earthly), inspired, providential, sacred
(vs. profane), superhuman (vs. subhuman), commentator, divination,
prophecy, shrine, clear, discerning (vs. undiscerning), religious
person, aerial, aeriform, aery, aired, ethereal, insubstantial
(vs. substantial), light (vs. heavy), unreal, unsubstantial,
ventilated (vs. unventilated), crazy, half-baked, impractical
(vs. practical), screwball, softheaded, being, case-by-case,
idiosyncratic, independent (vs. dependent), individual (vs. common),
individual(prenominal), item-by-item, organism, personal
(vs. impersonal), private, single, single(prenominal), unshared
(vs. shared), deadly, deathly, earthborn, fatal (vs. nonfatal),
merciless (vs. merciful), mortal (vs. immortal), mortal(prenominal),
unmerciful, unpardonable (vs. pardonable), anatomy, bod, build,
chassis, figure, flesh, form, frame, grammatical category, human body,
material body, physical body, physique, shape, soma, syntactic
category, embodiment, feeling, gospel, gospel singing, psyche,
soulfulness, spirit, Utopian, crusader, meliorist, reformer,
reformist, social reformer, utopian, blowy, breezy, fast (vs. slow),
long-winded, prolix (vs. concise), stormy (vs. calm), tedious,
verbose, wordy, ability, body, power, staff, administrative body,
administrative unit, information gathering, intelligence activity,
intelligence agency, intelligence information, intelligence operation,
intelligence service, news, tidings, word

> - what is the best way to ensure that users looking for soothsayer project will easily find the new project name and that the publicity (such as the review on Linux.com [4]) that soothsayer received will not be wasted?

You can always mention on your site something to the effect of "presage used to be called soothsayer".