Re: Freemat license issue

Neil Williams ha scritto:

>> freemat needs some files (*.f) that are not exists as a separate package
>> in Debian
>
> If those are generated files, the -dev should provide them.
> If they are source files (i.e. modifiable), these files must be
> explicitly covered by a compatible licence. You don't describe what
> these files are or do so I can't say much more than that.

These are Fortran files (source files), and are covered by the minpack
license listed here: http://ftp.netlib.org/minpack/disclaimer

I assume this license compatible because is the same of minipack Debian
packages, is it right?

> How can you claim that these are under the Minipack licence if the
> minipack -dev package does not contain them? Are they packaged in the
> minipack source tarball?

Yes, they are in Debian minipack source tarball.

>> I'm sorry, but I don't understand. There are no differences, but freemat
>> need those files for compiling.
>
> You need to explain what these *.f files are and what they are supposed
> to provide. .f means nothing to me. (.o I'd understand, as I would
> for .c, .cpp, .h, .pl and a host of others).

Fortran is programming language that is especially suited to numeric
computation and scientific computing. .f or .for are the extension for
source files.

P.S. I'm sorry for duplicate email, I forgot to change to field.

Giuseppe