Re: Freemat license issue

On Sun, 2008-06-29 at 14:44 +0200, Giuseppe Iuculano wrote:
> Neil Williams ha scritto:
>
> > You cannot assert that a licence applies (by patching the files to
> > declare a licence attribution) if you do not have confirmation from the
> > copyright holders of those files. i.e. you cannot claim that these files
> > are under any particular licence if upstream have not made that clear.
> [...]
> >> Is it sufficient a copyright clarification on debian/copyright ?
> >
> > The clarification you need is a statement from all the copyright holders
> > (or one who is authorised to speak on the behalf of everyone else) that
> > a particular licence applies to the specific files in question.
> >

> The files in question are in source upstream, but they are taken from
> netlib software packages (minipack,

Do you mean these are embedded source? Source code that already exists
as a separate package in Debian should not be duplicated in NEW
packages. Use the existing library support and remove the unwanted
source files from your package source tarball.

> http://www.netlib.org/minpack/disclaimer)
>
> Can I claim that these files are under Minipack license, and write a
> statement in debian/copyright?

No.

If there are differences, those differences still cause licence issues.
If there are no differences, there is no point having the files in the
source in the first place.

--

Neil Williams