Re: Fwknop and the install process

Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 07:43:38PM +0200, Franck Joncourt wrote:
[...]
>> So, right now, I would choose to work this way :
>>
>> - not ask for any questions and not start fwknopd during the install
>> process ; a variable would be set to no in /etc/default/fwknop-server.
>> - let the user have a quick setup (the three simple questions), and
>> start the fwknopd daemon, by use of dpkg-reconfigure. Add a note about
>> the recommended settings.
>>
>> But what about starting the simple setup through the three questions, by
>> default, and mentionning that the user might want to configure gpg and
>> restart.
>>
>> What would you suggest ? Any idea is welcome.
>
> Due to the nature of the fwknop protocol and goals I would avoid
> to activate the daemon at all. The best thing to do is leaving it inactive
> and let user to configure as appropriate in his/her context.
> You can easily use a script that pre-check for a configured
> daemon and starts it up or terminates gently. You can eventually
> also add a debconf-based easy-setup with an initial question (which defaults
> to NO) about easy autoconfiguration. Consider that fwknop is also
> a non-system wide service which could be used in different terms, so
> auto-starting it in other way would be not appropriate. See for instance
> fetchmail: it works in system-wide fashion or not.

To me, that sounds a good way to do :

- Do not start fwknopd unless an already setup is found,
- Let the user have an easy setup via debconf,
- Let the user go through the documentation to set the recommended settings.

I thank you for your reply.

--
Franck Joncourt
http://debian.org - http://smhteam.info/wiki/