Re: RFS: randtype (updated package)

Vincent Bernat <bernat@debian.org> writes:

> OoO En ce début d'après-midi nuageux du samedi 21 juin 2008, vers 14:08,
> "Eugene V. Lyubimkin" <jackyf.devel@gmail.com> disait :
>
>>> Moreover, you  might want  to fix  the manpage for  the "hyphen  used as
>>> minus sign" lintian warning.
>> Probably, lintian is right. But, upstream ships man page gzipped... So, patching man page
>> will require unpack it, make several sed expressions (or duplicate right man in debian/
>> dir), say dh_installman explicitly use patched man page instead of original one... IMHO,
>> this minor warning doesn't cost these manipulations... Though, If you claim that this is a
>> significant, I'll fix it (may be, you know less expensive way to patch
>> it?).
>
> You can use some shell magic:
>  gunzip blah.1.gz
>  sed -i 's/\B-/\\-/g' blah.1
>  [...]
>  dh_installman blah.1
>
> You should of course check that sed is really doing its job.

Wouldn't it be better to generate an uncompressed manpage as part of the
appropriate debian/rules rule, and then use a standard debian/patches
utility (e.g. quilt) to escape only those hyphens that need it?

Something like (completely untested):

    ## Upstream ships compressed files within their tarball; boy are
    ## they silly.
    clean::
    	rm -f foo.1
    build:: foo.1