Re: Which 64 bit cpu assembler to use ?

On Saturday 21 June 2008 09:14:31 pm Star Liu wrote:
> Greetings!
> I'm a newbie in assembly language programming, for I worked as a C#
> programmer on microsoft platform in the past years, but now I want to
> know clearly how operating system and softwares are executed, so I begin
> to learn assembly language programming, I have learned some 32 bit asm
> coding, and want to move to 64 bit coding. Is there any good toturial to
> follow? and which assembler should I use? (I have a amd64 etch installed
> for this task) Thanks!

This is a bit off-topic for this board -- this board is for debian package
sponsorship, and discussion related to maintaining debian packages.

http://linuxquestions.org has a forum about programming. Maybe ask there for
anything else you want to know (instead of being off-topic here)

However, I'll give you a couple pointers to get you started:
- nasm and yasm seem to be the assemblers available in Debian right now.
- get an emulator (I use Bochs), you won't have to reboot and you'll be able
to use a debugger.
- Look up http://www.linuxassembly.org/ (assembly programming in linux) and
http://www.osdever.net/ (all about writing operating systems)

- Jack Mudge