Re: RFS: witty

Quoting Vincent Bernat <bernat@debian.org>:

OoO Vers  la fin de l'après-midi du  jeudi 29 mai 2008,  vers 16:32, Pau
Garcia i Quiles <pgquiles@elpauer.org> disait:

I am looking for a sponsor for my package "witty".

* Package name    : witty
  Version         : 2.1.3-1
  Upstream Author : Emweb bvba <info@emweb.be>
* URL             : http://webtoolkit.eu/
* License         : GPLv2 + commercial
  Section         : web

It builds these binary packages:
witty      - C++ web framework and application server [runtime]
witty-dbg  - C++ web framework and application server [debug]
witty-dev  - C++ web framework and application server [devel]
witty-doc - C++ web framework and application server [doc]

Hi!

About the  short description,  upstream author states  that Wt is  not a
framework but  a library. Since  this seems important, maybe  you should
avoid the word framework at least in short description.

Fixed. That's a quite recent change in the homepage (since Wt 2.1.2).
The description in my package was wrong because "framework" has been
there since I started providing packages of Wt (August 2007, version 2.0.3).

In debian/control,  Vcs-Cvs is oddly formatted. Moreover,  this field is
for Debian package managenement, not upstream CVS.

Removed

You seems to hardcode a lot of libraries in Depends, I think this is not
necessary: this is the job of shlibs:Depends.

Fixed

About debian/copyright, upstream ships a  LICENSE file but does not tell
if  the software is  licensed under  GPLv2 or  GPLv2+.  You  should tell
upstream that  a statement stating  the actual license is  necessary (as
explained at the bottom of LICENSE file).

I'd say it's clear it's only GPLv2 but I've requested upstream that
they state the license explicitly

More important, you add a patch to add OpenSSL exception. You should not
do that.  On what ground  do you assume  that such an  exception exists?
Upstream should add it in some file.

I requested upstream to include the OpenSSL exception, it's already in CVS and
the next Wt version (2.1.4) will include it in the LICENSE file.

The content of how_to_build_examples.txt  should be put in README.Debian
instead since this is Debian specific information.

Done

You  can  simplify   debian/rules  by  using  debian/witty-doc.examples,
debian/witty-doc.docs.

Given that "make install" does not install examples or documentation,
will that work? I'd say it will not, so, should I keep my debian/rules
or modify upstream's "make install" ?

You might also want to  use dh_lintian to install lintian override (look
at the manual page, it requires a special version of debhelper).

Done

lintian
override on  witty-doc should  be removed. You  should remove  those two
extra licenses instead.

Do you mean removing them from the .orig.tar.gz?

You  should   use  a  patch   management  system  instead   of  patching
yourself. Such a system will  handle cleaning for you (your package does
not build  twice in a row because  you don't clean your  patch). You can
look at quilt that contains a simple line to add to debian/rules and two
new targets to patch and unpatch.

Done. I'm using dpatch now.

You  can safely  remove CFLAGS  settings  in debian/rules,  this is  now
handled by dpkg-buildpackage.

Fixed

Your debian/watch  is not working  for me. You should  use http://sf.net
instead of http://downloads.sourceforge.net.

Fixed

Two more lintian warnings:
W: witty: deprecated-chown-usage postinst:25 'chown -R www-data.www-data'

Fixed

W: witty source: debian-watch-file-missing-version

It was versioned but it looks like lintian does not understand spaces:
"version = 3" fails, "version=3" works fine

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org