Re: RFS: gvb

After writing this, I found a wonderful FAQ saying I should add
informations to make the package interesting, so I'm answering to myself.

Pietro Battiston ha scritto:
> Dear mentors,
>
> I am looking for a sponsor for my package "gvb".
>
> * Package name    : gvb
>   Version         : 1.1-1
>   Upstream Author : Pietro Battiston <toobaz@email.it>
> * URL             : https://poisson.phc.unipi.it/~battiston/gvb
> * License         : GPL
>   Section         : science
>
> It builds these binary packages:
> gvb        - simulate 1 and 2-dimensional vibrations in a nice GUI

Ooops... I thought the template maker was so smart that it actually
had already done a test for me.

In fact, just for curiosity I now did a lintian test. There are
several warnings and an error.
1) I get warning "script not executable" for several .py modules...
but they aren't scripts, just Python modules, so I imagine it's OK.
2) The error is "python-script-but-no-python-dep ./usr/bin/gvb". True,
my package doesn't depend on python, it depends on python2.5. In fact,
it does not work with python 2.4 and I never checked with 2.6 (not
even released). I guess adding dependency on python itself would be
useless...

> The upload would fix these bugs: 486010

main contrib non-free
> - dget http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/g/gvb/gvb_1.1-1.dsc

> Kind regards
>  Pietro Battiston

So here's some more description: gvb (Good ViBrations)is an app I
wrote to play with waves and vibrations in 1 and 2 dimensions.

It's written in python, using pygtk-pyglade for the GUI and scipy for
calculations.

It features several starting positions, and a nice editor to create
new ones. One interesting feature is the possibility to dump frames to
png files, so that a movie can be created with them.

It's a quite simple package: the script, a package, some icons, some
localization data. I'll finishing debugging a pair of lintian warnings
later, then eventually upload a new version.

Pietro Battiston