Re: RFS: poco and poco-doc (updated packages) [3rd try]

On Saturday 07 June 2008, Krzysztof Burghardt wrote:
> Hello George,
>
> 2008/6/7 George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net>:
> >        As a user of that package, I'm still reluctant to ship it in a
> > shape where lintian is not happy enough. I've read your reasoning about
> > debug package names you have choosen, but I still don't see a good reason
> > not to have package names end in -dbg, which would keep the package
> > namespace sane enough [1] and brings predictable names for searching on
> > the debian package database; these packages of course would still ship
> > the files as they are considered now:  i.e.
> > /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/libPocoXMLd.so.5, which would help the linkage of
> > projects used it that way.
>
> This looks reasonable, but trigger another lintian warrning:
>
> N: Processing binary package libpocoxml5-dbg (version 1.3.2+dfsg1-1) ...
> W: libpocoxml5-dbg: package-name-doesnt-match-sonames libPocoXMLd5

sure, lintian has provided you with oneliner (as copied verbatim from
libpkg-guide #3 Naming shared library packages) to determine the correct
package name out of the soname, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be
working for object files containing debugging information (I didn't check
why, will probably do;-):

$ objdump -p usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/libPocoXMLd.so.5 |
sed -n -e's/^[[:space:]]*SONAME[[:space:]]*//p' |
sed -e's/\([0-9]\)\.so\./\1-/; s/\.so\.//'

So, as libpkg-guide suggests in table 5.1 (soname: libfoo.so.4 => pkgname:
libfoo4) and lintian asks us to end in -dbg since we install
in /usr/lib/debug, therefor the above package should be named as
libpocoxmld5-dbg. I'm not sure if lintian is prepared not to take into
account the requested -dbg$ to the package name when comparing it to the
sonames, but if it keeps emitting package-name-doesnt-match-sonames, shutting
it up with an override seems to be in order.

> > Also, don't forget to gzip -9
> > changelogs as per policy 12.7. After these are resolved I'd sponsor.
>
> I'm not sure what problem you have pointed out. Upstream changelog in
> installed with dh_installchangelog, its name is changed and its
> gziped.

I still get changelog-not-compressed-with-max-compression changelog.gz for all
the packages despite dh_installchangelogs and dh_compress are called
correctly. Will have look into that deeper.

[1] http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/libpkg-guide.html
(keep that handy;- )

fingerprint 1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB