Re: New Packager question again: can you point me to a not flawed package?

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 09:12:46 +0300, George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net> said:

> On Sunday 01 June 2008, Russ Allbery wrote:
>> George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net> writes:
>> > So, will you generate at some point a series logically separeted
>> > quilt patches and store them in debian/patches/ in the final
>> > diff.gz which is the canonical way of Debian to distibute changes.
>>
>> I'm currently not doing this for a very prosaic reason: I don't have
>> a simple tool that does it for me, and I'm too busy with other things
>> to write one.  The choice was to stay with quilt or to give this up
>> in exchange for experimenting with Git, and I decided to take the
>> latter approach since I really needed to learn Git.

> I didn't play a lot with git-format-patch, but at least that looks
> promising.

        It is. The resulting patches might not apply on top of each
 other in all cases, but they will in a large number of cases, based on
 my experience with my packages.

        Also, any set of patches you come up with is not actually the
 bits the package is built from (the integration branch, which has all
 the topic branches applied, is where the package binary comes from). So
 the diff.gz is what was applied to the upstream source to get the
 result, not the patches derived from the topic branches.  Probably only
 makes a difference for a security audit.

        manoj
--
Given a choice between grief and nothing, I'd choose grief. William
Faulkner